Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - My Birthday Cake

For today's Tasty Tuesday I am sharing my absolute favorite cake of all time - homemade poppy seed cake. 

It's not a lemon poppy seed. And this cake is super moist and tasty. This is the cake my mom has made me for years for my birthday. I've had roommates who used to toast it and add a little butter to have it for breakfast....and I quickly discovered that is a tasty way to have it for breakfast. I just tell myself it's like having a poppy seed muffin for breakfast...lol! 

This actually takes a little time to make. The recipe is on the inside label of the Solo brand poppy seed filling can. But I can promise you, this cake is worth the effort!!! 

Here's the recipe copied right from the Solo website: 

Ingredients
1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 cup dairy sour cream
1 1⁄2 cup sugar
2 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
4  eggs, separated
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Confectioners sugar

Instructions
To bake this poppy seed cake, preheat oven to 350° F. Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan or 10-inch tube pan and set aside.Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add poppy filling and beat until blended. Beat in egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and sour cream and beat just until blended. Stir flour, baking soda and salt until mixed, and add to poppy mixture gradually, beating well after each addition. 

Beat egg whites in separate bowl with electric mixer until stiff peaks form. Fold beaten egg whites into batter. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 55 to 65 minutes or until cake tester comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack. Dust with confectioners sugar just before serving.

Note: I generally beat the egg whites first in a separate bowl and put them aside. Then I don't need worry about cleaning off the mixer blades since they need to be clean to form the peaks. 

Enjoy!
Joyce

2 comments:

  1. That looks delicious Joyce, Happy Birthday for when it is :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kellie it is so good...it's hard to eat just one piece...lol! It was March 16th.

      Delete

SMASH kit

I just wanted to quickly share part of a SMASH kit I finally finished putting together. I have a SMASH book...it has a lot of beautiful page...