Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Tasty Tuesday - Overnight French Toast

Who doesn't enjoy a hearty breakfast of french toast on the weekends? I found this great overnight french toast recipe on the Deals to Meals website. The recipe has some great recipes on it plus the site is a great way to save money on your grocery bill. I've been using it for probably close to a year now and have saved a lot on my grocery bill without sacrificing the products I like.


The recipe on the website calls for peaches. The first time I made it I didn't have any peaches in the house but had some blueberries and it was awesome! I think any fresh fruit you enjoy or even canned peaches would be delicious in this recipe. I've made this a few times already and each time it's just as good no matter what fruit I use - so use what's in season and enjoy. I am looking forward to strawberry season this year and having strawberry french toast.

Here's the recipe copied right from the Deals to Meals website...for me is was perfect "as is":

Overnight Peach French Toast

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter

Bring to a low boil and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until sugar is dissolved. Add 2 tablespoons of milk, let foam and remove from the stove. Pour into a 9x13 pan. In the bottom of the pan add:

2 cups sliced peaches (canned, bottled or fresh)

Spread the peaches on top of the butter/brown sugar. In a bowl, whisk together the following:

6 eggs
1/4 cup peach jam (optional)
1 1/2 cup milk
1 Tbls. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt

9-12 slices of french bread or white sandwich bread

Whisk until smooth. Lay french bread pieces evenly over the top of the peaches. Pour the egg mixture on top of the bread. Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar (optional) and cover with tinfoil. Keep in the fridge overnight (or cook immediately) and then bake uncovered at 350 for 50-60 minutes, or until the center is cooked through and no longer soggy.


Enjoy!
Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment

SMASH kit

I just wanted to quickly share part of a SMASH kit I finally finished putting together. I have a SMASH book...it has a lot of beautiful page...